Thursday, January 13, 2011

Deprivation or Protection?

When I heard of Facebook planning to close down on March 15, I was skeptical.  More so having just read the double issue of TIME magazine naming Mark Zuckerberg its "Person of the Year" (Vol. 176, No. 26/ 2010) where the college-boy Mark appears to be relaxed and happy among his casually-dressed staff.  (How I wished the office I work in is as nondescript as his!)

Nevertheless, when a friend sent me an email of the news, hoping to convince me otherwise and perhaps to take the necessary actions to save any pictures I had been tagged in, I felt a strange pang of guilt.  No, not for brushing the news aside but for reading a statement in it that's the exact reason I use to refuse my children their rights to use the social network their mother is unashamedly on. To get out and get real friends! Yes, to the girls it is their rights because "everyone is on it".  Uh-uh, everyone from the friends to the sleazebags lurking in the nooks of cyberspace hoping to prey on some innocent minds.  No way and that's that.  What's wrong with just meeting up with friends at TESCO? Everybody goes to the same school, anyway.

But, what if FB really shuts down? Would I then have deprived my teens of once-in-a-lifetime experience of meeting friends in a place where what you are wearing is not an issue?  No, seriously, it is a meeting place where nothing becomes an issue. Unless you get on someone's nerve, which can result in you being removed, and as a result, won't be an issue anymore.  Would I then be the reason for them not being hip and up-to-date?  Would they then be the object of ridicule among the savvy teens at school who not only think emails belong in museums but are now Skype-ing too? Would they be left behind? Left out? Left alone? Am I just worried about them FB-ing with the possible circle of friends that I can't invite over?  Am I a control freak??!  All things considered, perhaps I should just give in.

Till then, I am glad that the same friend sent me another email on the news being just a rumour.  Phew! That was a close call!

1 comment:

  1. huhuhu..
    I received that email too..
    at first, I, too, was being sceptical when I got that..
    but then, I thought back, FB gives Mark Zuckerberg money, power and everything he could imagine.. so, it is quite illogical if he wants to shut the Facebook Corp down.. and if he really wants to shhut it down, on what purpose?? if want to say that FB doesn't get the popularity, that's wrong.. as hundreds of millions people are using Fb now.. but then, if it is true, then.......... I'm doomed!! T_T

    ReplyDelete